Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Easy Fried Ravioli

They said it couldn't be done. They said I could never do it. They were WRONG! Ladies and gentlemen I have made homemade raviolis without the use of a pasta rolling machine. I used beef and Italian sausage, along with a Philadelphia Cooking Creme (garlic and herb). You guys could of course use ricotta cheese instead of the cooking creme. But I'm using the cooking creme in addition to some mozzarella cheese.

Okay so I cheated. Its true. Instead of making pasta dough, I bought egg roll wrappers. But before you say "Katelyn! Egg roll wrappers are for egg rolls and those awesome crunchy things they put on top of egg drop soup! Not raviolis!" remember my love for all things creative. You will discover that egg roll wrappers can be pretty versatile in pasta dishes. But that's a blog for another day!

As you will note from the picture, my Italian sausage is in links. That's the only way my butcher sells it. So if you don't get yours in bulk either, just make a slit in the casing and squeeze the sausage out. Discard the casings. I use sweet Italian sausage but mild or hot would work just as well. Whatever you prefer. I fry my ground chuck and Italian sausage together. Cook thoroughly over medium heat. Drain the grease immediately then let the meat cool for about 15 minutes.

While your meat is cooling, fill a large frying pan with vegetable oil, about an inch deep. Heat until your handy dandy thermometer says 350° or use the Pop Test I told you about in my crispy chicken recipe.

While your water is coming to a boil cut your egg roll wrappers into four even squares. Once they are into squares seperate your squares into two seperate piles. One pile will be your Tops, the other will be your Bottoms.

Spread a nice dollop of your cooking creme on each of your Bottoms. Remember to leave an edge all around so we can seal the Tops to the Bottoms.

Once your meat is cool you can add your cheese. Once the cheese is added put the mixture in your food processor and grind it fine. Put a spoonful of the freshly ground mixture on top of your cooking creme.

To seal your ravioli use a small bowl of water. Dip your (clean!) finger into the water and wet each edge. Firmly press your Top onto the Bottom, sealing it tightly.

Once your raviolis are ready, gently place them into the oil. Fry them for about 90 seconds. Place them on a paper towel to drain any excess grease.

Sauce choices are endless. I'm using a jarred spaghetti sauce but one could use a cream sauce, or a garlic butter sauce. Or even no sauce. Its all about personal preference.

So there you have it! A delicious, creative meal that can be easily altered to fit your family's needs. Want a vegetarian version? Chop up some mushrooms and cook them with some Italian seasoning and use them in place of meat. Heck, add mushrooms to the meat! Anything that you'd like, go for it. From my kitchen to your table!

No comments:

Post a Comment