Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Meatloaf Layer Bake

I really couldn't think of a better name for this concoction my husband came up with. He isn't a fan of Shepard's Pie ( he's a strange man) so when he groaned about it when I said that's what was for dinner, I challenged him to come up with a better idea that involved the same ingredients. So he came up with this, and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out. You start off with one pound of ground chuck. Mix in an egg, your seasonings of choice, a cup of rolled oats, a quarter cup of minced onion and half a cup of shredded cheese. I added some feta cheese but that's optional. Place this meat mixture in the bottom of your glass baking dish. I used a small Pyrex dish, but you could always use a loaf pan.

mashed four potatoes with some butter and milk, and a sprinkling of salt, pepper and garlic. The next step was the easiest. My mother in law made freezer corn and gave us some. I thawed it out and opened the container. Bam. Corn. :)
I baked the meat loaf for about twenty minutes before taking it out of the oven to spread the mashed potatoes on top of it. On top of the mashed potatoes I spread the corn. On top of the corn I sprinkled some shredded Cheddar cheese.

Bake this dish for another 25 minutes at 350°. Don't forget to let it settle for 15 minutes so any juices can be re absorbed into the meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

erve with a nice biscuit or roll. There you have it! A fun twist on meatloaf, that's easy and fun to make. From my kitchen to your table!

No comments:

Post a Comment