Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Easy S'mores Cupcakes

I don't make a whole lot of desserts. But I saw something in my local grocery store that made me think. On one end cap there was a display for the cake mixes and frostings they had on sale. On another end cap, right next to the first was a whole display dedicated to summers favorite treat, S'mores. That made me wonder what a s'mores cake would taste like. Then I decided I had to know, so I bought a chocolate cake mix, chocolate frosting, a box of graham crackers and a bag of mini marshmallows. Then just to be safe I bought a jar of marshmallow fluff.

My original intention was to mix the chocolate frosting with the marshmallow fluff and put the mini marshmallows in the cake and sprinkle crushed graham crackers on top of the frosted cake. It was the pure genius of my three year old daughter to make cupcakes instead. And I LOVE stuffing cupcakes. I think it adds a whole new level of awesome. 

So I prepared the chocolate cake mix as the box directed. I used the cupcake liners because I had them but I imagine you could just grease the cups well if you don't.

I filled each cup a third of the way with the chocolate batter. Then I piped in a glop (that's a unit of measurement right?) of marshmallow fluff. And by piped I mean I scooped it into a ziplock bag and snipped off the tip with scissors. Remember this intricate piping technique for the frosting stage, it will be implemented again!

The next step is to cover the marshmallow fluff with the remaining batter. I got 24 regular sized cupcakes when it was all said and done. Bake the cupcakes in accordance to your cake mix box. The box is incredibly helpful. 

While your cupcakes bake, prepare your frosting. And by that I mean crush up your graham crackers and mix them into your chocolate frosting. Scoop into your fancy piping ziplock and wait. The cupcakes need to cook and cool completely before you pipe your frosting onto them.

Once they are cooled and frosted, top each cupcake with a mini marshmallow. If you're ambitious like I was, you can toast the marshmallows. I used a regular old lighter because I'm not one of the cool kids with a food grade torch. 

There you have it! A fun and delicious dessert from my kitchen to your table! 

No comments:

Post a Comment